A Christmas night fire at the Chatham Hill Apartment
A Christmas night fire at the Chatham Hill Apartment complex on Hickory Place resulted in the relocation of 10 families whose apartments were left uninhabitable.

Firefighters initially received a call at 10:41 p.m. to investigate a water leak at the apartments. When they responded, they discovered a fire and smoke condition at the rear of Building K. It took them approximately two hours to knock the fire down, officials said, and by 12:51 a.m. the fire was out.

According to police, at least 10 apartments were damaged so severely that they were classified as uninhabitable. The Red Cross is assisting in the relocation of the displaced families. There were no reported injuries, and those residents who were home at the time of the fire were safely evacuated.

The fire fell under the jurisdiction of the Green Village Fire Department, which is responsible for District One of Chatham Township. Green Village Fire officials met Friday morning with representatives of the Morris County Prosecutor's Office to determine the origin of the fire, but as of press time no additional information was available.

Responding to the fire along with Green Village were firefighters from Chatham Township and the Chatham Emergency Squad. Mutual aid was requested and fire apparatus from Chatham Borough, New Providence, Madison, Berkeley Heights, Summit and New Vernon responded to assist.

No comments: